Monday, January 18, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

Everyone knows that we are supposed to eat our oatmeal. It is heart healthy, blah, blah, blah. My only problem with it is that I cannot stand the stuff. I have tried it with butter and sugar, with brown sugar, cooking it in apple juice instead of water/milk, and my MIL eats with with salt. Anyway you fix it I cannot eat it! So how am I supposed to eat this superfood and get all of the benefits (high fiber, protein, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, thiamine, and the kitchen sink!!) that it contains??? I am so glad that you asked! :-)
This is my solution for oatmeal. It has blueberries and peaches and walnuts added to it. And it is baked instead of cooked on the stove top. When I eat it I am also getting other superfoods in the blueberries and walnuts! I feel so healthy! Maybe I will go eat a Snickers just to balance everything out! Ha!

Kid approved!! ( I think that he just wanted his picture taken!!)

The leftovers can be refrigerated and used the next day!! Just add a little milk to them and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds.

*****Thank you to my SIL Laura for making this wonderful dish on Christmas and for sharing the recipe with me. You have saved me from a lifetime of eating disgusting oatmeal!!!


Baked Blueberry and Peach Oatmeal
3c. old fashioned oats
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 egg whites
1 egg
1-1/4 c. canola oil
1 t. vanilla
1 can (15oz.) sliced peaches in juice, drained and chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/3 c chopped walnuts

*In a large bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the egg whites, egg, milk, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and stir until blended. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in peaches and blueberries.

*Transfer to an 11 x 7 in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160 degrees.

3 comments:

  1. Great recipe. Thanks Bekah! You're always so healthy. I should be more like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yum! I already like oatmeal, but this looks even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I may have to try that. I eat my oatmeal with milk, butter, sugar, and salt, by the way. Think I may have ruined the "healthy" factor!

    ReplyDelete